Fires are the main cause of death in the home in this country.
What are we doing to keep you fire safe?
We work closely with the London Fire Brigade to make sure we’re doing everything possible to keep you safe in and around your home.
- fitting sprinklers in housing schemes for older residents, hostels and some of our new homes
- carrying out personal home fire checks for residents who may need extra help staying safe in the event of a fire
- removing security grilles and gates attached to front doors and shared walkways. Grilles and gates cause a risk to your life in the event of a fire. They delay how quickly you can leave and the Fire Brigade can enter your home.
- offering to remove security grilles and gates which belong to leaseholders free of charge
- doing regular fire safety inspections to the shared areas in your building and on your estate
Contact our helpful Fire Safety team to find out more.
What can I do to keep fire safe?
There are many things you can do to prevent fires and stay safe.
- fit smoke alarms and test them regularly
- the London Fire Brigade carry out free fire safety checks and alarm fitting. If you or someone in your family has a disability the London Fire Brigade can offer a home fire safety visit
- plan an escape route and meeting point
- stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully
- take care with candles and keep them away from curtains and fabrics
- keep fire lighting equipment out of reach from children
- don’t overload electrical sockets, and check the fuse is adequate
- report any electrical faults to us
Remember in a fire, dial 999 immediately. Always follow advice from the London Fire Brigade.
Take a look at our fire safety escape plan and factsheet for more useful information.
If you need this in another language please contact the communications team at firstname.lastname@example.org