We are committed to equality and diversity, and our strategy sets out six key objectives:
- To ensure that our approach to customer care is inclusive: responsive to risk, physically accessible and culturally appropriate.
- To ensure Lewisham Homes’ design standards deliver personal dignity, independence, choice and privacy.
- To ensure that partners and contractors address equality and diversity as part of any work they do for us.
- To improve life chances for residents.
- To take appropriate action to prevent and tackle victimisation and harassment, strengthen communities and promote good relations.
The key objectives above were developed using the below information:
- The population profile of the borough of Lewisham and profiles of our tenants and leaseholders
- Profiling the people who work for us
- Community needs as set out in needs assessments and reviews
- Performance data about services and outcomes
- Perspectives from tenants and leaseholders
Public Sector Equality Duty
The Equality Act 2010 requires public bodies to have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a ‘protected characteristic’ and people who do not share it;
- Foster good relations between people who share a ‘protected characteristic’ and people who do not share it.
Harassment and victimisation
For further information about the support we provide to victims of domestic violence and hate crime please see our antisocial behaviour page.
In the workplace
We embrace diversity – it’s a defining characteristic of the Lewisham community, and is reflected in our teams. We believe in creating an inclusive environment and nurturing a culture where diverse perspectives can help drive us forward.
We also strive to provide a fair, equal and supportive work environment for all our employees, regardless of their age, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, disability, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion, or affiliation to any political party or trade union. Our policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms & conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, and every other aspect of employment.