As an organisation that’s committed to improving life chances, this week we’re pledging our support for the Communities that Work campaign led by the organisation Give Us a Chance (GUAC). The initiative aims to highlight the social housing sector’s investment into employment-related services which is something we’ve been working hard to develop.
In 2018 we formed important partnerships with different organisations and made use of our own in-house resources to deliver some excellent educational courses for our residents. These included:
- An Improving Houses Services course and an Introduction to Local Housing course delivered in partnership with London Metropolitan University.
- An employment support workshop delivered by St. Giles Trust giving attendees the option of signing up for the St Giles Routeways programme which offers support with things like CV writing and interview skills.
- Learn to Code courses for residents who were interested in gaining essential skills to help kick-start a career in digital technology.
- A Digital Skills for Work programme which aims to provide basic digital skills to job seekers which has created created two part-time paid positions for Digital Skills Connectors and 20 volunteer opportunities for Lewisham residents.
- A Teaching Assistant NVQ course in partnership with The Hyde Group open to people in Lewisham aged 19+ who were unemployed and claiming benefits.
Want to know what we’ve got planned for 2019? Join us at our Employment Fair on Thursday 4 April from 9am-5pm at the Civic Suite, next to the Old Town Hall in Catford town centre. You’ll have the opportunity to sign up to different employment support services throughout Lewisham and gain some insider knowledge of the job market through talks and demonstrations. Keep an eye on our website to find out more or contact our Community Relations team with any questions:
Call: 0800 028 2028