Work by Lewisham Homes, United Living and Michael Dyson Associates to replace dangerous cladding and improve fire safety at Hatfield Close and Gerrard House in New Cross has received a funding boost from central government, with £7.2m granted for the project from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government (MHCLG).
The blocks were tested for fire safety in the aftermath of the Grenfell fire and were found to be clad in similarly dangerous materials, which were swiftly removed. Lewisham Homes and United Living have since been working with residents to improve fire safety at the site and involve them in the selection of new, safe cladding to be applied in the New Year.
The figure of £7.2m represents 80% of the funding requested, with the remaining 20% (£1.8m) to follow at a later date. The funding for replacement of the cladding is being administered by the Greater London Authority (GLA).
The project to transform the site at Hatfield and Gerrard is ongoing and you can check its progress and further updates at our dedicated project page.