Objective(s) of role
Are you confident with using the latest mobile, PC and tablet technology?
We are looking for someone who has a passion for technology and can show our learners what exciting opportunities it can provide.
Digital Support Volunteers work with learners on a one-to-one basis or in a small group. There are lots of different ways to help.
A broad outline of tasks and activities to be undertaken
- To support learners, some of who may have limited digital knowledge to use their devices (phone, tablet, laptops).
- You will need to be friendly and supportive, and encourage learners to take the next steps in learning how to ‘get online’.
- Tasks could vary from helping someone to read and respond to a text message to learning how to transfer music from laptops to music players.
- Being a friendly-ear to help with any IT issues as they arise.
- Acting as an advocate of the benefits of being online.
We are looking for people who are:
- Able to use computers, search the internet and use email confidently.
- Enthusiastic about the positive effect that technology can have on someone’s life.
- Understanding of people’s motivations for learning.
- Reliable and well-organised.
- Able to explain technology in a simple, clear way.
- Are able to work with groups of vulnerable adults.
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Have patience and excellent listening skills.
- Able to travel to a variety of local venues.
- Have experience working with or passion for supporting people who face disadvantage, such as health issues, disability and lack of employability skills.
- Experience of teaching adults.
- Confident in using social media, for example, Facebook and Twitter.
- Confident in a range of digital technologies, for example, smartphones, digital tablets, digital cameras.
Location and hours
Lewisham Homes DigiHub:
Every Thursday 10-12 at the Old Town Hall. Catford, London, SE6 4RU
We work closely with other local organisations to provide a network of support to Lewisham residents, as part of the ‘Go On Lewisham’ initiative. Opportunities could be on a regular/ one off basis.
Partner organisations include Phoenix Housing, Age UK and Community Connections.
For more information about this role. Please call: Alys in The Community Investment team or email email@example.com