About the Albany and Entelechy
The Albany is a social enterprise with a strong reputation as a home and seeding ground for creative development in the performing arts. It attracts 130,000 visitors a year, including 28,000 people attending performances and a further 40,000 taking part in workshop events and creative projects.
Entelechy is a participatory arts company with over 20 years’ experience of working together with multidisciplinary health and social care teams to support the social and creative inclusion of adults with learning disabilities and frail older people. It is one of the UK’s leading organisations working with arts and older people.
Objective(s) of role
Are you friendly, helpful and proactive? Do you enjoy creative activity? Would you like a chance to develop your own skills while helping other people?
The Albany and Entelechy Arts are looking for volunteers for Meet Me at the Albany, a weekly arts club for the over-60s. Volunteers help vulnerable and isolated older people reconnect with their communities as they chat, have a meal, and engage in creative activities.
Meet Me at the Albany is a pioneering concept to help reduce isolation and improve wellbeing through high-quality artist-led sessions. Participants are offered a wide range of opportunities, including sculpture, printing, spoken word, movement, singing, and much more.
A broad outline of tasks and activities to be undertaken
Our team of volunteers get involved in all or some of the following activities, according to personal interest and skills:
- empowering participants to make choices regarding art and creative activities and listening to their feedback;
- supporting participants as they engage in arts and creative activities which are run by professional artists;
- engaging participants in additional activities, such as gardening;
- meeting, greeting and welcoming people as they arrive;
- helping participants socialise by befriending;
- helping serve lunch and refreshments;
- helping people to their transport;
- performing administrative tasks from the Albany office, such as putting together newsletters and liaising with participants on the phone on Mondays.
We are looking for people who:
- are friendly and willing to talk to anyone and everyone;
- are sensitive in dealing with people from a range of different backgrounds, with a range of different (health) needs;
- have excellent communication skills;
- take an interest in the arts and in supporting people to be creative;
- are great at working in a team;
- are proactive and flexible.
- Occupational Therapy and/or adult social care;
- gardening and/or running community gardening activities;
- facilitating (arts) sessions, or a desire to develop skills in this area;
- administrative skills.
Please note that volunteers will need to apply for an Enhanced DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) check.
Location and hours
Meet Me at the Albany happens every Tuesday from 10.30am-2.30pm. Volunteers are ideally required to attend between 9am and 3pm, to help set up and pack away. We are looking for people who are able to commit for a minimum of six months, although flexible arrangements are possible.
Lunch is provided for volunteers every Tuesday. We can also reimburse local travel expenses.
If you’d like to get involved but are not available on Tuesdays, we would still like to hear from you as we are looking to expand Meet Me at the Albany through activities which may take place on different days of the week.
For more information about this role. Please call: Alys in The Community Investment team or email email@example.com.