Abuse and neglect

What is safeguarding?

Safeguarding means protecting people’s health, well being and human rights, and making it possible for them to live free from harm, abuse and neglect. It can apply to both adults and children.

Abuse can be:

  • Physical
  • Emotional or psychological
  • Financial
  • Modern slavery
  • Domestic violence
  • Sexual
  • Discriminatory – abuse on the grounds of religion, culture, gender and sexuality
  • Organisational – such as from a care giver

Neglect can include:

  • Neglect by another person or people
  • Self-neglect


To understand how to identify signs of abuse or neglect, you may find it useful to look at the Social Care Institute for Excellence’s (SCIE) website.

What do we do?

We think that safeguarding is everyone’s business, so all of our staff receive safeguarding training. We work closely with other agencies and make referrals to them to make sure our residents are free from abuse and neglect.

We have a dedicated member of staff who monitors cases involving our residents.  We are also a member of the Lewisham Safeguarding Adult Board.

Report a safeguarding issue

If you think an adult, child or young person may be in immediate danger, always call 999.

If you are experiencing abuse or neglect, or know somebody who is, report it to us online.

You can also report a support need if you, or someone you know, is struggling to live independently.

Report abuse, neglect or a support need 

You have the option of reporting anonymously if you wish.

Other agencies who can help

To report a concern about a vulnerable adult:

Adult Social Care  – Social Care Access and Information Team

To report a concern about the safety or welfare of a child:

Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)


If you believe that a criminal offence may have been committed and someone is in immediate danger, call 999.

If it is not an emergency, you can speak to the local police by dialling 101.

You can report information about a crime anonymously to Crimestoppers UK.

Mental health

If you are concerned about your own or someone else’s mental health, contact your or their GP first.

The South London and Maudsley NHS Foundation Trust can also provide support.

You can refer yourself to:

Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT)

Help around the home

We can assist residents struggling to stay independent in their home by doing minor adaptations, such as fitting hand rails or lever taps.

If bigger adaptations are needed, Lewisham Council’s Occupational Therapy team may be able to help.

Lewisham Council’s Homecare services and Adult social care team can also help people to stay independent in their home.