Basic adaptations which can be provided by Lewisham Homes are as follows:
Main entrance support rails:
- hand rails; and
- stair hand-rails.
Other internal changes
- Level internal door threshold strips;
- Kitchen lever taps;
- Kitchen cupboard handles;
- Bathroom lever taps;
- WC flush handles;
- Alter heights of power points and electric sockets;
- Door and wall protectors; and
- Safety glass.
Visual impairment needs
- Staircase applications, for example: highlighting edge of steps, colour contrast rails; and
- Colour contrast for bathroom grab rails and kitchen cupboard handles.
Hearing impairment needs
- Flashing doorbells; and
- Vibrating smoke alarm alerts.
Who qualifies for an adaptation?
You must either:
- be a tenant who has a disability;
- be an elderly tenant (over 60); or
- have a long term or terminal illness which causes you to have difficulties coping or carrying out everyday activities.
What happens if my needs are more complex or the works required are more extensive?
If you know your needs are more complex or the works required are more extensive you can contact Lewisham Council here for more information and advice. They will make an assessment of whether an adaptation or equipment will help you to live independently in your home.
Examples of these are:
- Simple ramps;
- Half steps;
- Metal support rails; and
- Additional hand-set for an intercom.
- Stair lifts;
- Through floor lifts;
- Level access showers; and
- Extensive ramps.