We manage 18 Independent Living schemes (also known as sheltered housing) which provide around 500 individual homes for older residents.
Our friendly Independent Living team work closely with residents living here to make sure they remain independent, comfortable and secure in their homes.
Our team provide a regular, dedicated service, and mostly work from offices based at the Independent Living schemes.
Our Independent Living officers:
- arrange and hold social events, activities and meetings
- sign up and settle in new residents
- offer day to day advice and support about finances, health and safety, individual homes and using the shared areas and equipment
- can make referrals to other organisations if a resident wants or needs this
- can arrange for repairs to individual homes and the shared areas
Rent and service charge
Independent Living residents pay a monthly service charge on top of their rent which is for:
- the enhanced support provided by the Independent Living officer
- looking after the shared areas in and around the building which includes cleaning, gardening and repairs
- an emergency alarm call system
Depending on your income and savings you may be able to receive housing benefit or income support and pay reduced council tax. Lewisham Council will advise you about this when you join the housing register.
Can I live in an Independent Living scheme?
You need to be over 60 to live in one of our Independent Living schemes.
Join Lewisham Council’s housing register.
Bid for a home advertised by Lewisham Council on Lewisham Homesearch.
Independent Living scheme map
This map shows where our Independent Living schemes are located across Lewisham.
Useful information for older residents