Your recycling service is provided by Lewisham Council.
What you can recycle
- aluminium and steel cans
- biscuit tins
- bottle lids
- clean silver foil
- metal takeaway containers
- empty aerosol cans.
- food containers, such as yoghurt pots, fruit punnets and ice cream tubs
- meat, fish and ready meal trays (no black trays)
- plastic takeaway containers
- clear and coloured plastic bottles including shampoo, fizzy drinks, milk bottles and cleaning products.
- glass bottles such as wine, olive oil, and perfume
- glass jars, including clear and coloured glass.
- newspapers and magazines
- envelopes, greeting cards and junk mail
- telephone directories and catalogues
- food and drink cartons, such as soup, juice packs (Tetra Pak)
- cardboard, including cereal and egg boxes (flatten the boxes before placing them in the bins)
- shredded paper (needs to be contained in a paper bag).
What you can’t recycle
Please do not put the following items in your green bin as they cannot be recycled:
- hard plastics e.g. Tupperware
- clear and coloured plastic bags e.g. carrier bags, sandwich bags and black bin liners
- clear plastic film e.g. cling film, ready meal film lids
- pet food pouches
- food waste
- garden waste
- bubble wrap
- textiles e.g. old clothes, scrap material
- tissues, wallpaper, wet or dirty paper and cardboard
- window glass, broken glass, light bulbs, fluorescent tubes, Pyrex and ceramics
- laminated or waxed paper
- sweet/candy wrappers
- crisp packets
- scrap metal.
Many of the items listed above can be taken to the reuse and recycling centre in New Cross.
If you see overflowing recycling bins and rubbish collecting near them it’s often because non-recyclable items have been put inside which delays collection.